Sunday, July 20, 2014

A Tree Lover's Take on Archaeologists

 
Resident tree hugger, Travis H.
I was excited to hear that 25 archaeologists were going to stay with me at the Santa Rosa Island Field Station for a week. I had been working on the Torrey pines for a week with only two other people to have conversations with.  So I was ready  for some new friends.The group was full of energy and there was not a quiet moment in the research station, literally not one. The students would take turns cooking delicious dinners for the group; and every night at least two people would offer me a plate of food. Dinner was composed of the most satisfying food after a taxing day of field work with a company of people that you won’t find anywhere else. After dinner there were interesting discussions about anthropology and selected readings. I had no background in anything related to this field but the group was patient enough to explain many of the topics they were sharing.

Watching these dirty and smelly students come in from a long hot day in the field testified to the amount of work they had done. Many of them just sat down their packs and began finishing their maps without cleaning up or taking a breather. These researchers were dedicated and focused on completing the task they were given, despite the sun burns, blisters, aches and pains.

By listening to individuals share stories of a site they discovered, it became evident that this is what they are most passionate about. I saw other people’s faces light up and smiles emerge as someone described an object they uncovered that day. I never thought I would become intrigued by buried rocks and shells! As the week progressed, a desire to learn more about the people who inhabited this wonderful island began to kindle inside of me.

Nights at the station were wild. These people would come even more alive after a long day of work. People are running up and down hallways, going on hikes to the beach, cracking jokes to each other and writing funny messages on the white board. These people were nonstop. They ate loads and loads of food, and yet were able to clean up the kitchen as though they never were near it.

Even though the backup generator went out on their first full day and the water level in the well was at a record low, this group of students and instructors were easy going and positive. Showers were few and far between (too few for specific people), and power outages throughout the evenings did not hinder this group from getting their work done while having a great time. 

This group of strangers came into my “house”, ate my food, and caused a power black-out. But now, many of them have become my friends. I would gladly let them stay with me in my real home, cook food for them, and sit with a head lamp in the dark sharing stories.

I am blessed to have been able to break bread at the same table with them.

Editor's note: Travis H. is a research Station Assistant on Santa Rosa Island. He is also an Environmental Science major at CSU Channel Islands. Travis and his team have counted 24,900 Torrey Pines, although I'm still not sure why. Before the Cabrillo College Archaeology field school descended on SRI, Travis was quietly residing on the island. I don't think it's a coincidence that he departed the island before our crew did. We thank him very much for his hospitality his help (and Cause H.'s help) in keeping the field station running for the duration of our stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment