Sunday, July 20, 2014

Rising - by Kate R.L.

Rise. That is what has been going through my mind since I left orientation on the 6th of June. Today I learned that I can; I learned that I did. Today I rose far above any expectation I could have had for myself, for what life can be, and for the tribe we became today, together, on this most lovely day on Santa Rosa Island. We came yesterday from different lives and different backgrounds, early in the morning, to embark on an educational journey. Tonight, we are a tribe, a group of people who are working together to survive and to work toward some thing better.
           

We started the day preparing for something that, at least myself could only try to imagine. A trip to an archaeological site started off a day that would become the most amazing experience of my life. There we learned about several things including, why we do cultural resources management (CRM) and how it can be used to protect important past record, rock types common (and not so common) to the local area, and even a short lesson on the use of gypsum datura amongst the local population for spiritual purposes.

Next we visited another archaeological site and together worked to improve the record kept about that site. After lunch and a short discussion, we visited a pygmy mammoth, and from there embarked on a brisk walk that included several more sites, the torrey pine forest, and a brief overview of  the area we will be surveying during our remaining time on the island.

This is the most strenuous hike on which I have ever been. It tested my strength, stamina, mental, and spiritual fortuity. It did that for most of us, if not all, so far as I can tell. But we rose. We rose above everything and we stood on top of the world together. Every single one of us is better for this day. From those of us who have been doing this for years to those of us who are just starting out, we conquered something today, and we became a community.

Now, as I sit here writing this blog with a smile on my face and in my heart that just won’t stop, smelling the delicious dinner my tribe is preparing to nurture our hungry bodies; I am more proud of myself than I have ever been and I am flying. I am so grateful for these wonderful souls who have come with me on this journey of self discovery and high demand of academic learning. We have all risen so high we can fly. Education of the mind and one’s self are the wings that can take you anywhere you wish.


But alas, farewell, I must go be with my most wonderful tribe and community, break bread and be merry.


No comments:

Post a Comment