Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Excavation Day 2 - by David

The campground is flat. It makes it much easier to sleep through the night than it was during the first week. The bathroom feels like having a luxury after a day of digging. It not only has electricity, but also showers. Being able to get clean, at least cleaner, after a day of bug bites, dust, and sweet is glorious. The kitchen Dusty hauls with us makes nutritious and vital meals. I know we couldn’t get through all the labor without it. We seem to get through our morning routines just as we are able to leave. Driving to our site takes us through locked gates, cattle pastures, and winding dirt roads. The scenery is beautiful. Rolling hills, mountain peaks, blue skies dominate the horizon. All of the gear is waiting for us from yesterday. Shovel Test Unit 12 still has rocks protruding out of each side wall other than the eastern one. It is only 15 centimeters deep at its lowest point, but that only leaves us five more to dig to finish the level. The soil has gone from clumpy to hard. It is clay. I start on the level record. I make an amateur mistake almost immediately. I start putting ecofacts into the artifact record portion of the form. It isn’t the end of the world, but we have enough historical artifacts to catalogue that it is an issue. There isn’t enough room for good sketches of our artifacts. We have square nails, ceramics, wiring, glass fragments, can fragments, plastic, and a chert fragment with at least one scar removed. Our ecofacts make up less than ten percent of the volume of what we are bagging. By weight, I’d guess they make up two percent. It is a few vertebrae, one piece of shell, and that is pretty much it. After we finish the 0-20 centimeter level, I fill out the provenience information for the 20-40 level. Our soil changes color for this new level. It is minor from 7.5yr black to dark gray. It is frustrating to work with because the artifacts have a significant decline with a simultaneous increase in hardness. It doesn’t really fragment on the screens anymore, and our trowels seem to be the best way to break up the chunks coming out of the shovel test unit. After just a few centimeters of work I get to start digging. The pick makes a great start. I churn out dirt faster than it can be screened, and it makes me feel powerful. Well that is until I realize how slow the progress is. I think I have dug through ten centimeters of soil after about three buckets of dirt, but really it is barely six at its deepest point. My sidewalls are slanting rather than steep, and I have only really been working away from the rocks in half of the unit, so I know I can’t keep this up for long. The breaker bar makes short work of the side walls and gives me the determination to keep up my pace. Then Dusty comes by and asks us, “Have you been peeing?” I say no without a thought, and get reminded that it means I am not drinking enough. I take out the loose clumps I have in the bottom of the whole and then take a drink. It reminds me that my throat really is dry. I have been working at peak capacity and slacking on water. I never would do that under normal circumstances, but the digging is fun, exciting, and distracting. I haven’t paced myself well, but the reality check is a huge favor. I make a mental note to drink more and to finish at least my two little bottles in the morning tomorrow. Then we break for lunch. I consume everything I brought except a granola bar in ten minutes. I thought I had plenty of food with a bag of chips an apple and four granola bars, but it turns out to be pretty much the minimum I should have brought. I drink water for the rest of lunch and urinate. It is some of the most yellow I can remember having. When we get back to work I let someone else have a chance to dig. I get on one of the screens and sift through even more aggravating soil, and it is probably the soil I just pulled out. Bugs start biting me, and my back feels like I am baking, but none of it dampers my spirit. We maintain great conversation through all of the oppressive conditions and laugh. At one point a crew chief comes up to us and says if we were on a professional dig with a CRM company we might get reminded that we are here to work not have fun. The 40 centimeter level is down faster than I had hoped. It has almost nothing in the last ten centimeters, and the first ten has four artifacts, two pieces of brick and glass. Dusty gives us great news. 




A lesson in wet screening
We are going to wet screen. I think we are done with the hole entirely, but I am wrong. We don’t back fill and Dusty says we may do a little more tomorrow while we drive away from the site. We drive back to real roads before we finally get to the wet screens. It takes half an hour for us to finish the demonstration on proper wet screening, and at his point it is already after 4. Dusty leaves us to work. I agitate the dirt and help transfer samples to drying screens. We pretty much have to start putting away the equipment after our first sample is on the drying racks. I move on to doing that. Then I have nothing to do. There isn’t another hose, I feel like I’d just get soaked standing opposite someone else, so I stand aside. I end up dripping anyway when Brittney sprays me. It feels pretty good, almost like an extra shower, but I am wearing all of my clothes, I know I am getting into a car in less than an hour, and it is getting late in the day. It is worth it though. It gets everyone relaxed and we finish before Dusty comes down with everyone else. We bag the wet screened samples, put away what is left of the gear, and go. I am even surprisingly dry. It was a good day in the field. Terry J. is ready for her lecture that, and dinner is amazing barbecue. I couldn’t ask for a better day.



No comments:

Post a Comment