Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Excavation Day 5 - by Brooke J.

Brooke and Max Screening

I woke up on Friday, the last day of the second week of field school, and frankly, I was pumped. It might have seemed like I was still in a sleepy haze all throughout breakfast and while we were breaking camp, but in actuality my mind was back at the control unit my crew and I had been working on the whole week. That CU was like the white whale of field school, barring anything else that may come up later. We started off at a great pace, managing to back stake our unit pretty quickly, but as we all kept taking turns digging different levels, we realized that this was no ordinarily stubborn hole. In the end, it took a week worth of digging to get past the compacted clay, tree roots and other obstacles our inexperience presented. It was amazing though; 










 I never really anticipated just how much technique could go into digging a perfect 1x1m hole. The more times one of our esteemed crew chiefs would stop by and drop a casual remark about an easier tool to use for whatever we were doing, the faster each lever seemed to go, all the way up to Friday, when we only had the smallest bit of digging to finish. We quickly set to work after the van ride up to the site, and squared away the bottom of the hole, did a column test, and took lots of pictures. It was a beautiful moment, and then we had to fill the hole back up. It may sound simple, but it turned out that a lot of the buckets of screened dirt we had sent to the wet-screening crew took about 20cm worth of dirt away, so after we thought we were done, we had to fetch more dirt. All in all, I never thought it’d be so much fun to finish one hole, not that the digging wasn’t fun, but the completion of this hole was a big deal to me, and even now, I can’t wait to dig something else.



Sasha knocking out a level
Dusty helping with the unit


























No comments:

Post a Comment