Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Excavation Day 3 - by Brandon


My name is Brandon. I am a Junior at SJSU and a Cabrillo Alumni. I have wanted to take Dusty’s Field School for some time now and my interest in Archaeology has only grown from my experiences here. The work is hard, the hours are long, but finding artifacts and spending all day outdoors in areas most people don’t see is extremely rewarding.
I have always wanted to excavate. We use round shovels, square shovels, pick axes, small pick axes, trowels, and a heavy black driving rod (breaker bar) in the process. My favorite tools have been the pick axe and square shovel while moving pounds of dirt centimeter by centimeter. While digging the 1 x 1 meter control unit I have to drink water constantly and always keep count of how deep I am, while moving dirt. Otherwise I could easily dig too deep or miss swinging the pick axe and destroy the sidewall. Every excavated hole in Archaeology has to be the same so that they can be compared and contrasted with holes dug nearby in a sample or population. I also had to deal with being eaten by flesh eating gnats while screening the dirt through 1/8th square mesh, when I wasn’t digging.

No comments:

Post a Comment